York has a huge variety of accommodation options, from affordable hostels and campsites to luxury hotels. The following is a quick guide to find somewhere that suits you.
The content below is up-to-date as far as we are aware, please get in touch if you find anything to be incorrect. Also, feel free to add feedback on places you have stayed on our Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/notes/archaeology-live/accommodation-york-nearby/10151781819631846 – bear in mind that this is a forum for recommendations rather than criticism.
*SPECIAL DEALS for 2015*
Hotel 53 are a competitively priced hotel in the centre of York, about a 10-15 minute walk from our excavation. They offer a 10% discount to Archaeology Live! trainees, just quote York Archaeological Trust when you call to book. Please note that terms and conditions apply. The discount is valid for double rooms and doesn’t apply during bank holidays and race weekends.
General searches are a good place to start there are a number of options
– Good general booking site local to York http://www.visityork.org/book/ not a national site so the revenue stays local.
– Another good local engine http://www.iknow-yorkshire.co.uk/
– Bit of a York guide with some accommodation links http://www.insideyork.co.uk/
Hotels are surprisingly cheap if you book well in advance and avoid the weekend nights
– People had a good deal here by sharing a twin room and getting in early http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/196/York-Central-hotel
– This one lists guest houses, pubs and bed and breakfasts as well http://www.york-stay.co.uk/
Bed & Breakfast is a very large part of the accommodation available in York (just don’t boast about having a Full English when you turn up and see ravenous hoards!)
– The University has some options for this http://www.yorkrooms.com/
– Independent York bed and breakfast site, you need to contact individually but gives you and idea what’s around http://www.yorkbedandbreakfast.co.uk/
– I am not sure if this counts as a B&B but there are some really good options at lots of prices there was one place at £16 per night https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/York–United-Kingdom?source=bb
– People have said very good things about the Bar Convent http://www.bar-convent.org.uk/accommodation.htm
Hostels are a good option if you want to pay less
– YHA has a hostel in York book through their web site and if you are a member you get discounts http://www.yha.org.uk/
– The University is running a system similar to a hostel in the halls where we used to stay http://www.yorkconferences.com/events/venue/bed-and-breakfast-14.aspx you need to book dates between the 10th July and 5th September for the £24 per night price to be available
– We also spoke with York St John University and they are renting out rooms in different locations. The cheapest option was at the Lord Mayors walk campus. You will have to send them a message or call to find out more details (they were very helpful when I spoke with them) http://www.yorksj.ac.uk/conference-office/conference-home/accommodation.aspx
– There is the boutique hostel on Micklegate which is very nearby for the site http://safestayyork.co.uk/safestay-york/bedrooms.html
– The same for Stonegate which is very central http://www.thefortyork.co.uk/
Renting or sharing is a good option if you are coming for a longer stay
– One of the popular engines is this http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/york
– Gumtree is another option for a longer stay http://www.gumtree.com/flats-houses/york
– Bit extreme but if you are bringing the whole family over a nice option. There are a few houses in the York area www.lovehomeswap.com
– There are a couple of places here which can be rented by a group. They have had good feedback from one of our regulars www.centreyorkcottages.co.uk
– For those who wish to camp or caravan try www.pitchup.com
– Ukcampsite is very good. The campers reviews are also very useful www.ukcampsite.co.uk
– For caravanners, this is supposed to have a really good shower block. Mainly hard standing with hook ups http://www.yorkcaravanpark.com
Further afield To help planning stays and journeys there are numerous things to help
– Excellent Park and ride apps to help you plan your journey and stay in York http://www.mxapps.co.uk/product.aspx?appId=york_park_ride